The Case for Falling in Love: Why We Can't Master the Madness of Love -- And Why That's the Best Part by Associate Professor Mari Ruti (Hardback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.68Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPraise for The Case for Falling in Love Why play 'hard to get' when you can just get what you want? Mari Ruti's lively research, from Plato to Freud to Gossip Girl to her own bedroom, finally puts an end to playing games, and provides a resource for lovers and the love-scorned alike. A must-read for anyone who has ever fallen in love, wants to, or wants to kw what went wrong. -Arianne Cohen, creator of TheSexDiariesProject.com At last, a relationship advice book that will actually work. If you're intelligent, interested in love, and like a book you can't put down, this is it. John Gray, move over. The brilliant Mari Ruti has arrived. -Juliet Schor, professor of sociology, Boston College, and author of Born to Buy and Plenitude: The New Ecomics of True Wealth Groundbreaking...Ruti opens the eyes of her readers so that they can love better...A must-read. -Nancy Redd, New York Times bestselling author of Body Drama Finally, a book that takes love seriously. Written with passion and verve...I wish I had read this book years ago! -Sean Carroll, author of From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time Are you tired of reading book after book and playing game after game, trying to avoid heartbreak? It seems impossible, and maybe that's because you can't lock up your heart like that-t if you want the real thing. And maybe that's one of the best things about love. We've been thinking about it all wrong. Our culture's insistence that women need to learn how to catch and keep a man is actually doing much more harm than good. The more we try to manipulate our relationships, the less we are truly able to experience love's benefits and wonders. Love is a slippery, unruly thing, and trying to control and manage it robs us of its delicious unpredictability. Sure, letting go of the reins a bit might mean a broken heart, but heartbreak, in fact, offers a wealth of possibilities-creativity, wisdom, and growth-that we need in order to make the most of our lives. Liberating for women who are frustrated by the idea that they just need to learn the right formula, The Case for Falling in Love shows that there isn't a method to mastering the madness of love. But that might be exactly what's so wonderful about it.
- Author BiographyMari Ruti was educated at Brown, Harvard, and the University of Paris. After finishing her Harvard doctorate in 2000, she spent four years as assistant director of the university's program for the Study of Women, Gender, and Sexuality. She is currently associate professor of critical theory at the University of Toronto English Department, where she teaches contemporary theory, continental philosophy, psychoanalysis, gender studies, and popular culture. Ruti is the author of two academic books: Reinventing the Soul: Posthumanist Theory and Psychic Life and A World of Fragile Things: Psychoanalysis and the Art of Living. She splits her time between Toronto, the East Coast, and Maui.
- Author(s)Associate Professor Mari Ruti
- PublisherSourcebooks Casablanca
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- SubjectMarriage, Family & Other Relationships
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSourcebooks Casablanca
- Weight476 g
- Width151 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.