All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1926, this book remains the best and most comprehensive guide to the Celtic place-names of Scotland and is essential reading for anyone interested in Scottish history and the derivations of place-names the length and breadth of the country. It is divided into sections dealing with early names, territorial divisions, general surveys of areas, and also looks at saints, church terms and river names. As the standard reference work on the subject it has never been surpassed. This edition contains an introduction which includes biographical material about the author, together with corrigenda and addenda.
- Author BiographyWilliam J. Watson was professor of Celtic at the University of Edinburgh from 19114 to 1938. He is widely recognised as one of the greatest ever scholars in the field. Simon Taylor is a freelance historical researcher specialising in toponymics (the study of place-names). He is an honorary research fellow at the University of St Andrews.
- Author(s)Simon Taylor,W. J. Watson
- PublisherJohn Donald Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2011
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Donald Short Run Press
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.