All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis lushly illustrated volume is the first comprehensive examination of postwar ceramic sculpture alongside other fine art of the period. The catalogue features more than 80 objects by leading 20th-century ceramicists, including John Mason, Ken Price, Lucie Rie, and Peter Voulkos. Essays consider the art in connection with rewned paintings, sculptures in other media, and works on paper, by artists such as Willem de Kooning, Isamu Noguchi, Mark Rothko, and Ed Ruscha. Juxtaposing ceramics with n-ceramic works, both visually and conceptually, and examining the visual, historical, and theoretical affinities among the objects, the authors demonstrate that the finest ceramics share the formal sophistication of the most celebrated artworks of the postwar period. As ceramics increasingly are recognized as integral to the wider field of contemporary art, this book offers new opportunities for understanding this important medium.
- Author BiographySequoia Miller is a studio potter and doctoral student in the History of Art Department at Yale University. John Stuart Gordon is the Benjamin Attmore Hewitt Associate Curator of American Decorative Arts at the Yale University Art Gallery.
- Author(s)Sequoia Miller
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/02/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note139 color illus.
- Weight1362 g
- Width235 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.