All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1910 auto magnate Hugh Chalmers offered an automobile to the baseball player with the highest batting average that season. What followed was a batting race unlike any before or since, between the greatest but most despised hitter, Detroit's Ty Cobb, and the American League's first superstar, Cleveland's popular Napoleon Lajoie. The Chalmers Race captures the excitement of this strange contest-one that has yet to be resolved. The race came down to the last game of the season, igniting more interest among fans than the World Series and becoming a national obsession. Rick Huhn re-creates the drama that ensued when Cobb, thinking the prize safely his, skipped the last two games, and Lajoie suspiciously had eight hits in a doubleheader against the St. Louis Browns. Although initial counts favored Lajoie, American League president Ban Johnson, the sport's last word, anunced Cobb the winner, and amid the controversy both players received cars. The Chalmers Race details a story of dubious scorekeeping and statistical systems, of performances and personalities in conflict, of accurate results coming in seventy years too late, and of a contest settled t by play on the field but by human foibles.
- Author BiographyRick Huhn is the author of The Sizzler: George Sisler, Baseball's Forgotten Great and Eddie Collins: A Baseball Biography. Charles C. Alexander is the author of several baseball books, including Ty Cobb.
- Author(s)Rick Huhn
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2014
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note25 photographs
- Weight635 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Foreword byCharles C. Alexander
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.