All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIncluding contributions from some of the leading art therapists in Britain, this important book addresses the key issues in the theory and practice of art therapy. The fundamental significance of the art in art therapy practice permeates the book, close attention being paid by several writers to the art-making process and the aesthetic responses of therapist and client. Other authors explore the tensions between art and therapy, images and speech, subjectivity and objectivity, arguing that the dynamic interplay between these elements is inherent to the practice of art therapy. The role of containment is ather theme that is explored by contributors in a variety of ways to highlight the importance t only of the therapeutic containment of the client by the therapist, but also the containment of the therapist. The physical contexts of the session, within an art room and within the larger working environment, are identified as important arenas where conflict and tension is experienced and must be explored if art therapy is to continue to develop.
- Author BiographyAndrea Gilroy is Programme Co-ordinator for Art Psychotherapy at the University of London, Goldsmiths' College, where she has worked for over twenty years. She is also involved with the development of art therapy in Australia through her work as an educator and researcher at the Unviersity of Western Sydney, Nepean. Gerry McNeilly is senior adult psychotherapist, group analyst and art psychotherapist. He currently works with the Psychotherapy Service, South Warwickshire Combined NHS Trust. He has been involved in training with Birmingham University and the Institute of Group Analysis in England, Russia and Greece. He is an art therapy educator and is developing group analytic art therapy training in Lisbon with the Portuguese Art Therapy Society.
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication01/11/2000
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Series TitleArts Therapies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAndrea Gilroy,Gerry McNeilly
Best-selling in Other
- AU $24.31New
- AU $49.49New
Save on Other
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.52
- AU $35.59Trending at AU $68.30
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $51.26
- AU $18.18Trending at AU $21.94
- AU $37.01Trending at AU $41.25
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $28.18
- AU $34.05Trending at AU $35.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.