All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe Chapels of Notre Dame celebrates the university's unique identity as a Catholic academic community where faith is treasured and diverse traditions shared and respected. This stunning large-format collection of over two hundred full-color photographs brings to life the sixty chapels located throughout Notre Dame's beloved campus, many of which are tucked away in little-kwn settings waiting to be discovered by readers of this volume for the first time. At Notre Dame, chapels are found in a number of academic buildings and in every residence hall. Mass is celebrated daily in some of these halls during term, and it is t uncommon to see students and staff stopping in them for moments of quiet meditation and prayer. The Chapels of Notre Dame captures these sanctuaries, as well as the older chapels, the apsidal chapels of the Basilica, and the Congregation of Holy Cross chapels. The text, by well-kwn Notre Dame professor Lawrence S. Cunningham, provides a picture of the worship in these chapels along with reflections on the traditions, history, architecture, and art works that adorn them. His brief descriptions evoke a powerful sense of presence, worship, and prayer. Matt Cashore's dramatic photographs, include the campus landscape, interiors and exteriors of the chapels, and people worshipping in varied seasons, lighting, and moods. His photographs offer fresh ways to view the charming sloped roof of All Souls Chapel, the large collection of relics assembled from the days of Father Sorin in the Reliquary Chapel in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, the Holy Cross Chapel in the new Stinson-Remick Engineering Hall, the striking stained-glass windows in the Moreau Seminary Chapel of the Sacred Heart, and the unique chapels in each of the residence halls. For alumni who have participated in baptisms, weddings, anniversary celebrations, prayer services, and other liturgical rites on campus, The Chapels of Notre Dame will t disappoint. Prospective students, members of the Notre Dame family, and friends and supporters who have seen the university only from a distance will get an inside view of one of the most beautiful campuses in the world and a unique contemplative side of Notre Dame.
- Author BiographyLawrence S. Cunningham is the John A. O'Brien Professor of Theology at the University of Notre Dame. He is the author and editor of twenty-five books, including A Brief History of Saints . Matt Cashore is the senior university photographer for the University of Notre Dame. His work has been published in Sports Illustrated, the New York Times , and ESPN The Magazine . His most recent book is Celebrating Notre Dame .
- Author(s)Lawrence S. Cunningham
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2012
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1107 g
- Width229 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.