All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this comprehensive interpretation of the Supreme Court during the pivotal tenure of Melville W. Fuller, James W. Ely Jr., provides a judicial biography of the man who led the Court from 1888 until 1910 as well as a comprehensive and thoughtful analysis of the jurisprudence dispensed under his leadership. Highlighting Fuller's skills as a judicial administrator, Ely argues that a commitment to ecomic liberty, the security of private property, limited government, and states' rights guided Fuller and his colleagues in their treatment of constitutional issues. Ely directly challenges the conventional idea that the Fuller Court adopted laissez-faire principles in order to serve the needs of business. Rather Ely presents the Supreme Court's efforts to safeguard ecomic rights t as a single-minded devotion to corporate interests but as a fulfilment of the property-conscious values that shaped the constitution-making process in 1787. The resulting study illuminates a range of related legal issues, including the Supreme Court's handling of race relations, criminal justice, governmental authority, and private law disputes.
- Author BiographyJames W. Ely, Jr. is the Milton R. Underwood Professor of Law emeritus and a professor of history emeritus at Vanderbilt University, USA. He is the author or editor of sixteen books, including The Guardian of Every Other Right: A Constitutional History of Property Rights, Railroads and American Law, The Oxford Companion to the Supreme Court of the United States, and The Bill of Rights in Modern America.
- Author(s)James W. Ely
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2012
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleChief Justices of the United States Supreme Court
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.