Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionAlfonso X (1221--1284) reigned as king of Castile and Leon from 1252 until his death. Kwn to history as El Sabio, the Wise, or the Learned, his appreciation for science and the arts led him to sponsor a number of books on the history of Spain since its Roman settlement. Among them were the Cantigas de Santa Maria, a collection of over four hundred poems exalting his favorite patron saint, Mary, and chronicles of all the kings of Castile and Leon, Navarre, Aragon, and Portugal.Alfonso X died before his own life could be written. His was a reign fraught with political intrigue and double crosses, almost constant war and equally constant diplomacy, royal largesse and ecomic instability -- all of which led to open revolt and efforts by Alfonso's own son to depose the king. It would be ather sixty-some years before King Alfonso XI would commission Fernan Sanchez de Valladolid to write Cronica de Alfonso X to memorialize his great-grandfather. As Alfonso XI's trusted counselor, ambassador, diplomat, and legist, Fernan was an understandable choice, but in the centuries since, his convoluted prose has proven extremely difficult extremely difficult for scholars.Chronicle of Alfonso X is the first and only translation of the king's history. The original clumsy Castilian of Fernan Sanchez has w been transformed into literate and engaging English.
- Author BiographyShelby Thacker is a professor of Spanish at Asbury College in Wilmore, Kentucky. Jose Escobar is associate professor of Spanish at the College of Charleston. Joseph F. O'Callaghan is a professor of history at Fordham University and is the author of many books and articles on medieval Spain, including The Learned King: The Reign of Alfonso X of Castile.
- Author(s)Fernan Sanchez
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication28/02/2002
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content NoteIllustrations, 1 map
- Weight558 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byJose Escobar,Shelby Thacker
- Introduction byJoseph F. O'Callaghan
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.