All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn addition to works by Plato and Xephon, we kw of dozens of treatises and dialogues written by followers of Socrates that are w lost. The surviving evidence for these writings constitutes an invaluable resource for our understanding of Socrates and his philosophical legacy. The Circle of Socrates presents new--sometimes the first--English translations of a representative selection of this evidence, set alongside extracts from Plato and Xephon. The texts are arranged according to theme, with concise introductions that provide an overview of the topics and the main lines of thought within them. The aim is to give a fuller account of the philosophical activity of Socrates' immediate followers: both to shed light on less well kwn figures (some of whom inspired schools and movements that were influential in the development of later thought), and also to improve our grasp of the intellectual context within which Plato and Xephon, the most important of the Socratics, lived and wrote. Included are a general introduction to the history, content, and character of these writings; a bibliography; an index of sources; and an index of the Socratics and their works.
- Author BiographyGeorge Boys-Stones is Professor of Ancient Philosophy at the University of Durham, England. Christopher Rowe is Professor of Greek, University of Durham, U.K.
- PublisherHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2013
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Weight288 g
- Width9 mm
- Height215 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.