All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWealthy, middle-aged spinster Rachel Innes is persuaded by her niece Gertrude and nephew Halsey to take a house in the country for the summer. Rachel is unaware that the house hides a sinister secret, and soon unexplained happenings and murder follow. The Circular Staircase is perhaps Mary Roberts Rinehart's most famous story. The tale mixes bone-chilling suspense and romance with good humor to produce an absorbing and entertaining mystery.
- Author BiographyIn her prime, American novelist and playwright Mary Roberts Rinehart was more famous than Agatha Christie. Originator of the phrase The butler did it, she is best known for her mystery stories-including The Circular Staircase, The Man in Lower Ten, and Tish-which combine murder, love, ingenuity, and humor in a style that is uniquely her own. Several of her suspense novels were turned into Broadway successes, including The Bat (which was derived from The Circular Staircase).Mary Roberts was born in Allegheny Pittsburgh in 1876. In 1896 Mary graduated from the Pittsburgh Training School for Nurses, married physician Stanley Rinehart, and started a family. Financial losses drove Mary to take up a writing career in 1903. Childhood memories such as the nearby state penitentiary, the one-armed policeman, and a mute neighbor inspired her novels. Five years later, her first novel, The Circular Staircase, became an instant success.In addition to her novels, the public grew to know Mary through the magazine serials and essays that she wrote for the Saturday Evening Post. During World War I, Mary served as a war correspondent and was one of the few that were allowed to report directly from the trenches. At the time of her death in 1958, her books had sold more than 10 million copies. Coming soon...
- Author(s)Mary Roberts Rinehart
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication11/05/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight162 g
- Width172 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Narrator(s)Rebecca Burns
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time390
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
Best-selling in Audio Books
- AU $46.16New
- AU $18.16New
- AU $31.48New
Save on Audio Books
- AU $47.23Trending at AU $49.10
- AU $18.49Trending at AU $20.18
- AU $27.36Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $27.76Trending at AU $50.64
- AU $31.73Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $41.06
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $29.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.