All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe City after Patrick Geddes is the first-ever publication to trace the influences of the Scottish biologist, sociologist and city designer, Sir Patrick Geddes (1854-1932), on the modernist debate about the City. The book consists of essays collated together in five sections. In the first, 'Patrick Geddes and the City', Geddes is located in his intellectual environment; Scottish and European. Successive sections are derived from Geddes's theory of the City. Part two - 'City and Region Surveyed and Displayed' - discusses Geddes's idea of a survey and the contemporary fascination with international city planning exhibitions and civic museums. The American visions of Lewis Mumford and his fellow regional planners and theoreticians are the focus of part three, 'Planning the Regional City'. The contributions in part four - 'Reconstruction of City and Region' - concentrate upon representatives of subsequent phases of international urbanism and planning, who developed and redefined Geddesian proposals in their own work. The final part - 'Critical Futures' - offers a critical reassessment of this legacy in the light of current international debate on the City and its future.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Volker M. Welter (born 1963) is an architectural historian, who has studied and worked in Berlin, Edinburgh and Glasgow. His main research interests are the nineteenth and twentieth centuries debate about the city, modern architecture, architectural and urban history of Zionism, and sepulchral architecture. He is based at the University of Edinburgh. James Lawson (born 1948) studied Drawing and Painting and History of Art at Edinburgh College of Art and the University of Edinburgh. He has taught history of art, architecture and photography at a number of institutions in Britain and abroad. His principal area of research is Italian Renaissance architecture. At present, he teaches History of Architecture at the University of Edinburgh.
- Author(s)James Lawson,Volker M. Welter
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/05/2000
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note53 ill.
- Weight600 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byEditors,James Lawson,Volker M. Welter
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.