The City and the King: Architecture and Politics in Restoration London by Christine Stevenson (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $73.92Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 14 Feb
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $121.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe City of London is a jurisdiction whose relationship with the English monarchy has sometimes been turbulent. This fascinating book explores how architecture was used to renew and redefine a relationship essential to both parties in the wake of two momentous events: the restoration of the monarchy, in 1660, and the Great Fire six years later. Spotlighting little-kwn projects alongside such landmarks as Christopher Wren's St. Paul's Cathedral, it explores how they were made to bear meaning. It draws on a range of evidence wide eugh to match architecture's resonances for its protagonists: paintings, prints, and poetry, sermons and civic ceremony mediated and politicized buildings and built space, as did direct and sometimes violent action. The City and the King offers a nuanced understanding of architecture's place in early modern English culture. It casts new light t only on the reign of Charles II, but on the universal mechanisms of construction, decoration, and destruction through which we give our monuments significance.
- Author BiographyChristine Stevenson is senior lecturer at the Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London.
- Author(s)Christine Stevenson
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/09/2013
- Series TitleThe Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note23 colour images + 115 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight1588 g
- Width192 mm
- Height256 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.