All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBuddhism has produced a cultural legacy more glorious than most great faiths. Initially spreading throughout Asia, over the centuries it triumphed t by the might of military conquest but by virtue of its revolutionary ideas and profound insights. For two-and-a-half millennia, both wealthy patrons and humble devotees have created a rich legacy of sacred art and architecture, from devotion paintings and manuscripts to some of the most magnificent temples and monasteries ever built. Stunning color photographs present a vivid portrait of this venerable religion and its great treasuresfrom its place of origin in rthern India and out through its diffusion among the different kingdoms and empires of central, southern and eastern Asiaexamining each geographical region in turn and Buddhism's influence on and contribution to the culture. An illuminating commentary places the creations of Buddhist artists and artisans in their geographical, historical, and artistic contexts and explains the significance of the faith's devotional paintings, manuscript art, sculptures, architecture, and sacred motifs and symbols.
- Author(s)Tom Lowenstein
- PublisherRosen Publishing Group
- Date of Publication15/12/2012
- SubjectYoung Adult General Interest & Leisure
- Series TitleIllustrated History of the Ancient World
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRosen Publishing Group
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1021 g
- Width229 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.