All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionA precursor of modern academic journals, this quarterly periodical, published between 1810 and 1829 and w reissued in forty volumes, was founded and edited by Abraham John Valpy (1787-1854). Educated at Pembroke College, Oxford, Valpy established himself in London as an editor and publisher, primarily of classical texts. Edmund Henry Barker (1788-1839), who had studied at Trinity College, Cambridge, became a contributor and then co-editor of this journal, which fuelled a scholarly feud with the editors of the Museum criticum (1813-26), a rival periodical (also reissued in the Cambridge Library Collection). Although its coverage overlapped with that of its competitor, the Classical Journal also included general literary and antiquarian articles as well as Oxford and Cambridge prize poems and examination papers. It remains a valuable resource, illuminating the development of nineteenth-century classical scholarship and academic journals. Volume 24 contains the September and December issues for 1821.
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication28/01/2013
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Classic Journals
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight580 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byAbraham John Valpy,Edmund Henry Barker
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.