All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionWhy is it that some teachers have a kind of magical charisma and charm which sets them apart from their peers? This book gives us a fresh and exciting answer - They have the classroom X-Factor! White and Gardner's gripping text, The Classroom X Factor, examines the tion of having what the public has come to call the 'X-Factor' from the perspective of the teacher, offering fascinating insights into the use of n verbal communication in the classroom. Using classroom and curricular examples, this book sets out to show how both trainee and practising teachers can identify their own 'X-Factor' in order to help transform their perspectives and perceptions of themselves during the 'live act' of teaching. The book demonstrates how teachers can transform the way in which they connect with their students, whilst also creating meaningful and potent learning experiences for them. White and Gardner show that by following simple methods borrowed from psychology and cognitive science teachers can develop their own 'X-Factor' and in so doing increase their enjoyment and efficacy as professionals. The techniques described include some of the following: * Facial and vocal expression * Gesture and body language * Eye contact and smiling * Teacher attire, colour and the use of space * Nonverbal communication and pedagogical approaches In addition, the book provides a section containing fictional stories that aim to contextualise the findings detailed throughout the text. The inclusion of chapter summaries, questions aimed at identifying the readers' own 'X-Factor', lesson exemplars and a user-friendly self-evaluation framework all work together to make the book a stimulating and easy read where reflective learning and the practical application of classroom techniques are the order of the day. This comprehensive guide to developing the classroom X-Factor within you will be of value to teaching and learning and is of immense use to both practising and student teachers and to schools seeking to develop models of reflective practice. It will also be of interest to curriculum and assessment agencies, policy makers, academics and others whose roles involve the design, provision, support and evaluation of teachers' efficacy in the classroom.
- Author BiographyJohn White (Ed. D) is a primary school inspector for the Department of Education and Skills in Ireland. Prior to this, he worked as a primary teacher, head teacher and lecturer. He has also been involved in research on school leadership, classroom nonverbal communication and teaching skills. John Gardner is a Professor of Education in the School of Education at Queen's University, Belfast. He is President of the British Educational Research Association, and was a founding member of the Universities' Council for the Education of Teachers - Northern Ireland (UCET-NI).
- Author(s)John Gardner,John White
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/08/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note148 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables
- Weight390 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.