All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Cliff-Dwellers is a scathing portrayal of capitalism and its discontents in nineteenth-century Chicago. This is the only edition available. The Cliff-Dwellers was the first American realist vel to use the rapidly developing city of Chicago as its setting. Henry B. Fuller's depiction of commercial greed, social climbing, and human depravity among the 'cliff-dwelling' residents and workers in the new Chicago skyscrapers shocked readers of the time, and influenced many American writers that followed. With its frenetic pace and many interrelated stories, it remains a compelling document of Chicago's social history, as well as a searing indictment of modern American life at the close of the nineteenth century. The extensive appendices to this edition include Fuller's literary criticism and his correspondence about the vel, reviews, and visual and historical materials on turn-of-the-century Chicago and literary realism.
- Author BiographyHenry B. Fuller (1857-1929) was an American novelist and short story writer. His writings were important to literary realism and to gay and lesbian literature (particularly his later novel Bertram Cope's Year). Joseph Dimuro is Lecturer in the Department of English at the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Henry Blake Fuller
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/07/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Note29 illustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJoseph Dimuro
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $24.16Trending at AU $29.95
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.