All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.83Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.55
About this product
- DescriptionFor every action, there is a reaction. For every murder, there is a murderer. For every implant, there is a custodian. Idaho, 1964. When the eccentric father of 10-year-old Conrad shows him an implant aliens once put in his leg, Conrad steals it and runs away from home. Enlisting help from his Indian friend Tomahawk Joe, Conrad makes for a haunted cave in the forest. His dramatic adventures there mark the end of his childhood, as the military police, the local sheriff and a cloaked, masked figure get increasingly tangled with Conrad's weird, wonderful family. When Conrad is 13, events take a stranger and darker twist, and Conrad is forced to turn detective, even while the sinister forces that play in the towns and countryside around him become more potent, and the people he thought he could trust are the ones he must beware. Conrad, the mixed-race son of a lovable crazy and a wise woman from the South, grows up fast in a country gripped by fear of the Russians and of alien invasion. This is a vel to be enjoyed by teens, and savoured by adults who appreciate a multi-level adventure story with dashes of fantasy, sci-fi and murder.
- Author BiographyD Garrett Nadeau is an American writer. A one-time teacher in Africa and academic in Switzerland, he now lives in Lancashire, England, working as a magistrate and a podcast presenter. It's true I've moved around a bit... I was born in Long Beach, California, but spent my childhood in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Life and school could have been straight out of Happy Days. I began my university studies as a Mathematics Major, but met a professor of English who changed my life. I became so enthusiastic about writing I went on to do my BA in English Literature at Carnegie-Melon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1970, at the age of 22, I left America. I had absolutely no idea I would never live there again. From 1970 to 1974 I lived in Nigeria, West Africa, where I taught English at Keffi Teachers' College. I travelled widely throughout West Africa. The knowledge I gained in Africa helped me when it came to writing my first novel, The Cloven Pine, and is the setting for my second novel, Vulture Soup, due out by 2016. I moved to England at the age of 26 to study at Leeds University where I did an MPhil in English and American Literature. My next home was Switzerland where I taught English and within a year became the Academic Dean at the American School in Lugano. In 1980 I returned to England: I began a career in the computer industry and worked for companies both large and small until 2003. I've since taught English Literature part-time in the Continuing Education Department at Lancaster University, and I currently serve as a magistrate on the East Lancashire Bench. As a presenter I have read excerpts of my work on live radio, and I regularly read publicly. In addition I've interviewed a number of local authors, interviews in which we've discussed their work and approaches to writing. These podcasts can be heard on the Lancashire Authors Association website. Having stayed now in four very different countries for extended periods of time, I don't believe there is any 'perfect' place to live. I have very fond memories of many things American, and similarly of things Nigerian and Swiss, but I concentrate on enjoying my life in England rather than missing aspects of the US or anywhere else. As for my work as a magistrate, I attend both criminal and family courts. Both will inform my proposed third novel, One of our Aliens is Missing, which will be set here in Lancashire.
- Author(s)D Garrett Nadeau
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication11/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight894 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.