All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThe Collected Works of Spiza provides, for the first time in English, a truly satisfactory edition of all of Spiza's writings, with accurate and readable translations, based on the best critical editions of the original-language texts, done by a scholar who has published extensively on the philosopher's work. The centerpiece of this second volume is Spiza's Theological-Political Treatise, a landmark work in the history of biblical scholarship, the first argument for democracy by a major philosopher, and a forceful defense of freedom of thought and expression. This work is accompanied by Spiza's later correspondence, much of which responds to criticism of the Theological-Political Treatise. The volume also includes his last work, the unfinished Political Treatise, which builds on the foundations of the Theological-Political Treatise to offer plans for the organization of ntyrannical monarchies and aristocracies. The elaborate editorial apparatus--including prefaces, tes, glossary, and indexes--assists the reader in understanding one of the world's most fascinating, but also most difficult, philosophers. Of particular interest is the glossary-index, which provides extensive commentary on Spiza's technical vocabulary. A milestone of scholarship more than forty-five years in the making, The Collected Works of Spiza is an essential edition for anyone with a serious interest in Spiza or the history of philosophy.
- Author BiographyEdwin Curley is professor emeritus of philosophy at the University of Michigan. His books include A Spinoza Reader, Behind the Geometrical Method: A Reading of Spinoza's Ethics, and Spinoza's Metaphysics. He is also the author of Descartes Against the Skeptics and the editor of an edition of Hobbes's Leviathan. He is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Author(s)Benedictus de Spinoza
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication21/06/2016
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note6 line illus.
- Weight1257 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine61 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.