All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLike the ancient colossus that stood over the harbor of Rhodes, Henry Miller's The Colossus of Maroussi stands as a seminal classic in travel literature. It has preceded the footsteps of prominent travel writers such as Pico Iyer and Rolf Potts. The book Miller would later cite as his favorite began with a young woman's seductive description of Greece. Miller headed out with his friend Lawrence Durrell to explore the Grecian countryside: a flock of sheep nearly tramples the two as they lie naked on a beach; the Greek poet Katsmbalis, the colossus of Miller's book, stirs every rooster within earshot of the Acropolis with his own loud crowing; cold hard-boiled eggs are warmed in a village's single stove, and they stay in hotels that have seen better days, but which have an aroma of the past.
- Author BiographyHenry Miller (1891-1980) was one of the most controversial American novelists during his lifetime. His book, The Tropic of Cancer, was banned in the some U.S. states before being overruled by the Supreme Court. New Directions publishes several of his books. Will Self (b. 1961) is an English novelist and journalist. His Independent column of offbeat walking tours, Psychogeography, has been collected into an eponymously titled book. Ian S. MacNiven (b. 1938) edited The Durrell-Miller Letters: 1935-1980.
- Author(s)Henry Miller
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication14/09/2010
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Weight250 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Introduction byWill Self
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.87
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.