All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionFilled with real-life anecdotes and insights, this is a history of the talented creators who brought us Superman, Captain America, Archie, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, and dozens of other comic book favourites, as well as the stories of the other people who helped shape comic book history. Meet the crime comics editor who would himself be accused of a gruesome murder; the horror artist who was periodically released from a mental hospital in order to meet his publishing deadlines; the famous Senator Estes Kefauver, whose subcommittee investigated comic books as a cause of juvenile delinquency; and dozens of other fascinating personalities. The volume also tells stories of the birth of the American comic book industry - deals brokered in publishing offices, epic collaborations and terrible feuds among the creators, and the working conditions and industry practices that left the creators of these legendary characters destitute while the publishers made fortunes. Illustrated with hundreds of examples of these artists' dynamic works, it provides documentation of a time looked upon with stalgia and t to be forgotten.
- Author BiographyAfter creating Captain America, Joe Simon was appointed the first editor-in-chief of Timely comics, the company that would become Marvel Comics. He would continue to create other icons of popular culture with collaborator Jack Kirby, including Fighting American, The Boy Commandos, romance comics, and the Fly. Simon also helped develop Casper the Friendly Ghost and Richie Rich for Harvey Comics. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Jim Simon,Joe Simon
- PublisherVanguard Productions
- Date of Publication01/02/2003
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVanguard Productions
- Out-of-print date15/08/2013
- Content Note25 colour & 200 b&w illustrations
- Weight798 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.