All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith the crisis of leadership in the western democracies, there has been a growth of interest in how leaders outside of the west emerge and consolidate their positions. This book analyses the communication strategies of six charismatic n-western leaders: Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Fidel Castro, Ayatollah Khomeini, Mohammed Mahathir and Lee Kuan Yew. The book addresses the following questions in order to arrive at a better understanding of communication and leadership: * How do leaders communicate? * Do leaders communicate more by words, or actions? * Do leaders have unique communication strategies? * Are leaders moral beings, or impostors? The book describes how each of these leaders designed a unique style that integrated verbal and n-verbal modes of communication. It argues that leadership style is performed through the cumulative interaction of n-verbal modes - dress, body language, physical possessions, symbols and symbolic actions - with verbal strategies for communicating visions, values and legitimacy. In order to understand how each of these leaders undertakes a dramatic 'performance' of leadership, Jonathan Charteris-Black uses Erving Goffman's tion of 'Front'. Noting the inherent similarities between the mutual dependency of actors with audiences and leaders with followers, the book suggests that leaders - like actors - use metaphors and symbols to satisfy followers' psychological and symbolic needs and that leadership is communicated through impression management, metaphor and media choices. A fascinating and well executed study, this book will interest students and academics working on leadership, applied linguistics, communication studies and politics.
- Author BiographyUniversity of Surrey, UK.
- Author(s)Jonathan Charteris-Black
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectELT Course Materials
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note9 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 6 black & white halftones, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.