All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen a bailiff turns up, a teenager tries to salvage her mother, their dignity and the TV. When a bailiff arrives at a housing project on the edge of Paris to draw up a routine inventory of goods in view of seizure, the reception he receives from Rose Melle and her teenage daughter is more than he has bargained for. Rose, forever unhinged by the trauma of childhood spent under Nazi occupation, mistakes him for a collaborationist thug and assails him with her alternately tragic and hilarious memories of Vichy France. In a narrative that lurches giddily between 1942 and 1997, Salvayre picks at the sores of recent French history, exposing its continuing authoritarianism. The Company Of Ghosts won the Prix Novembre in France.
- Author BiographyLydie Salvayre is a French writer. Born in the south of France to Republican refugees from the Spanish Civil War, she went on to study medicine in Toulouse and continues to work as a practicing psychiatrist.
- Author(s)Lydie Salvayre
- PublisherDalkey Archive Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleFrench Literature Series
- Place of PublicationNormal, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDalkey Archive Press
- Weight454 g
- Width160 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byChristopher Woodall
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.89New
- AU $71.58New
- AU $78.99New
- AU $49.08New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.89
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.32
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $82.83
- AU $19.17Trending at AU $20.80
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.62
- AU $22.30Trending at AU $22.82
- AU $20.95Trending at AU $23.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.