All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionSquare dancing is friendship set to music, says author Betty Casey. Just take four couples, old or young, put em on a good floor, turn on the music, and you re all set. Whether you ve done it before or you re just starting out, this book tells you everything you need to kw85 basic movements used all over the world, the spirited calls unique to square dancing, the costumes and equipment that are best, and music (from Red River Valley to Mack the Knife ) that will set your feet in motion. Down-to-earth details and anecdotes give a taste of the good times in store for you. Find out how native folk dances grew out of European quadrilles, jigs, and fandangos. Open this book and get ready to: wipe off your tie, pull down your vest, and dance with the one you love best. This book includes: 50 basic movements, 35 advanced movements, variations, dances that are a part of the American heritage, Contra and Round Dances, polkas and reels, and calls, past and present.
- Author BiographyBETTY CASEY, formerly a ballroom dancing instructor, saw her first square dancing at the Cowboys' Christmas Ball in Anson, Texas. She got the bug while researching the dance so her Girl Scout troop could earn a folk dance badge.Among the first women callers in Texas, she studied under Dr. Lloyd Pappy Shaw and Francisca Aquino and introduced square dancing to Marshall Flippo, America's foremost national caller. Hundreds of students of all ages attended her school in Abilene, Texas. She taught square dancing and studied foreign folk dancing in Asia, Europe, and Africa. She participated in folk dance cultural programs from Tangier to Hong Kong and from Manila to Munich for the U.S.O., Military Special Services, North Atlantic Girl Scout Council, Brussels World Fair, embassies and consulates, U. S. Information Services, television and movies.Betty called for square dancing at the Brussels World's Fair and the 2nd Asian Games, and her dancers appeared on TV programs and in movies.
- Author(s)Betty Casey
- PublisherUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/04/2000
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationDenton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width210 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.