The Complete Guide to Joining the Peace Corps: What You Need to Know Explained Simply by Sharlee DiMenichi (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $27.69Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $21.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Peace Corps, one of the great symbols of relief and assistance in countries around the world, is an opportunity for men and women of all ages to give a small part of their lives in the effort to help those much less fortunate than them. In 2007, the Peace Corps anunced its highest volunteer number in 37 years with more than 8,000 volunteers and the Corps continues to grow as more people jump at the chance to help around the world. Many people want to join and help in the Peace Corps, and more than 160,000 people have, since it was established by President Kennedy in 1961. But, many more wonder what it involves and what they need to kw before they can volunteer and sign up for the world famous Peace Corps. This informative book will guide you through the process of t only deciding whether you want to join the Peace Corps, but of showing you everything you will experience and need along the way. You will learn all of the basic lingo and necessary information needed to start the application process. You will be shown the specific qualifications to join and what you can do to boost your chances of submitting a winning application. Advice for older volunteers as well as those who are married or worried about entering ather country as a mirity or different sexual orientation is included in a special chapter about preparing for the Peace Corps mentality. Once you have applied and are ready for your Peace Corps commitment to start, you will learn what you should bring for two years abroad and what kind of training the Peace Corps will provide to you. A full list of the countries you might travel to and the languages you will need to learn are included, alongside the vital medical and safety information that you will need to remain safe during your travels. Learn how to stay in touch with home through the proper channels and how much travel and free time you will be permitted. Social interaction is a vital part of any volunteer commitment and you will learn how and when you can get to kw you fellow volunteers and the rules for interaction with the local nationals. Finally, the process of returning to rmal life will be hard, but this book will walk you through everything you need to kw, including the procedure for coming home early and a full section on how to adjust to your life once more. You will also find information on incorporating your new outlook on life gained from the humbling experience of your travels into the life that you left back at home. For those interested in joining the Peace Corps who feel overwhelmed by everything it represents, this book will take your hand and walk you through every step of the way.
- Author BiographySharlee DiMenichi has taught English as a second language in Zhejiang Province, China. Her coverage of immigration and ethnic communities was recognized with a New Jersey Press Association award for excellence among young journalists. She holds an M.S. in journalism from Columbia University and a B.A. in English and education from Juniata College, where she also studied peace and conflict studies. DiMenichi is a past recipient of the Baker Peace Prize and Baker Peace Scholarship from Juniata College. Prior to becoming a journalist, she volunteered as a regional boycott coordinator for INFACT, was a founding member of the Lehigh Valley chapter of the Bosnian Student Project, and served as a steering committee member of the peace group Lehigh-Pocono Committee of Concern. The Complete Guide to Joining the Peace Corps: What You Need to Know Explained Simply is DiMenichi s first book. She is currently researching a book of curricular materials on Holocaust rescuers.
- Author(s)Sharlee DiMenichi
- PublisherAtlantic Publishing Co
- Date of Publication30/01/2011
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationOcala
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAtlantic Publishing Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight422 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.97
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.