All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe author guides the reader through the development of thatching, the materials used including imported ones and the artistic work that creates the charm and beauty of a thatched roof. There are extensive chapters giving a host of practical tips for those living in thatched houses, including the advantages and disadvantages, maintenance, fire precautions, costs, insurance, etc. A glossary reveals the many unusual terms used by the thatcher and there is a list of useful addresses for further advice. The Complete Guide to Living with Thatch contains a wealth of practical information and advice for all those who live in or who are contemplating buying a thatched house, old or new. It also provides a unique reference guide and record of the hundreds of attractive thatched villages and curiosities - many of them illustrated - to visit in the British Isles. A summary of thatching worldwide is also given. This book will delight all lovers of the countryside and those interested in our rural heritage.
- Author BiographyThe author was born in Dorchester, in the heart of Thomas Hardy country and the great novelist and poet himself painted a portrait of the author's mother when he lived at Max Gate. Michael Billett has lived with his Australian wife and two daughters in many parts of Dorset including a restored eighteenth-century thatched cottage. His interests include architecture, antiques, wine and most sports, especially equestrian ones. A doctor of philosophy, he has written several books on countryside matters, including Thatching and Thatched Buildings, Thatched Buildings of Dorset, A History of English Country Sports, Highwaymen and Outlaws and Farmhouses and Cottages.
- Author(s)Michael Billett
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2003
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobert Hale Ltd
- Content Note149 illustrations, 74
- Weight600 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.