All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe third edition of The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics is an authoritative and invaluable reference source covering every aspect of its wide-ranging field. In 3,250 entries the Dictionary spans grammar, phonetics, semantics, languages (spoken and written), dialects, and sociolinguistics. Clear examples - and diagrams where appropriate - help to convey the meanings of even the most technical terms. It also incorporates entries on key scholars of linguistics, both ancient and modern, summarising their specialisms and achievements. With existing entries thoroughly revised and updated, and the addition of 100 new entries, this new edition expands its coverage of semantics, as well as recently emerging termilogy within, for example, syntactic theory and sociolinguistics. Wide-ranging and with clear definitions, it is the ideal reference for students and teachers in language-related courses, and a great introduction to linguistics for the general reader with an interest in language and its study.
- Author BiographyPeter Matthews is Emeritus Professor of Linguistics at Cambridge University and a Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. His many publications include Inflectional Morphology (1972), Morphology (2nd ed. 1991), Generative Grammar and Linguistic Competence (1979), Syntax (1981), Grammatical Theory in the United States from Bloomfield to Chomsky (1993), A Short History of Structural Linguistics (2001), Syntactic Relations: A Critical Survey (2007), Linguistics: A Very Short Introduction (2003), and The Positions of Adjectives in English (2014).
- Author(s)P. H. Matthews
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication13/03/2014
- Series TitleOxford Quick Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note10 black & white figures
- Weight340 g
- Width129 mm
- Height195 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.