All listings for this product
About this product
- Description\u201cMemory, of course, is sometimes like a bucking horse, sometimes a runaway one, and one must control the reins until finally it stops, srting with exhausted relief,\u201d writes Natalie L. M. Petesch in her haunting new collection, The Confessions of Se\u00f1ora Francesca Navarro and Other Stories. Petesch immerses readers in the lives of people caught up in the 1936-39 Spanish Civil War, which left more than five hundred thousand dead. She captures the hand-to-mouth existence on the streets of Madrid of two war orphans; an old soldier's memories of a fallen militiawoman; the dilemma of Franco's laundress as she seeks to duplicate a stolen religious icon she finds in his home; and a man's struggle to find his bride among thousands of Republican refugees waiting for ships to evacuate them before Franco's Fascists arrive to kill them. In the title vella, an elderly woman describes to her granddaughter how the families of Franco's officers fighting against Republican militiamen endured hunger, filth, and danger in an underground fortress. Petesch conveys the humiliating details of war through the sensibility of a cultured woman who recalls only too vividly latrines made of laundry tubs, the smell of unwashed humans, and the stench of death. Brilliant in its imaginative power and heartbreaking in its access to the bottomless well of human tears, The Confessions of Se\u00f1ora Francesca Navarro and Other Stories is the work of a mature artist able to convey a particular world so vividly that we kw these people as our own.
- Author BiographyNatalie L.M. Petesch has published ten previous books of fiction, including the Swallow Press titles Duncan's Colony, Flowering Mimosa, Justina of Andalusia, and The Immigrant Train. She lives in Pittsburgh.
- Author(s)Natalie L. M. Petesch
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2005
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSwallow Press
- Weight200 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5499 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $31.92
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.01
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.75Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.