All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Connected City explores how thinking about networks helps make sense of modern cities: what they are, how they work, and where they are headed. Cities and urban life can be examined as networks, and these urban networks can be examined at many different levels. The book focuses on three levels of urban networks: micro, meso, and macro. These levels build upon one ather, and require distinctive analytical approaches that make it possible to consider different types of questions. At one extreme, micro-urban networks focus on the networks that exist within cities, like the social relationships among neighbors that generate a sense of community and belonging. At the opposite extreme, macro-urban networks focus on networks between cities, like the web of nstop airline flights that make face-to-face business meetings possible. This book contains three major sections organized by the level of analysis and scale of network. Throughout these sections, when a new methodological concept is introduced, a separate 'method te' provides a brief and accessible introduction to the practical issues of using networks in research. What makes this book unique is that it synthesizes the insights and tools of the multiple scales of urban networks, and integrates the theory and method of network analysis.
- Author BiographyZachary P. Neal is an Assistant Professor of Sociology and Global Urban Studies at Michigan State University, and serves as Associate Editor of Global Networks and on the Editorial Board of City and Community. His research on cities and networks has appeared in Urban Studies, Global Networks, City and Community, the Journal of Urban Affairs, and Geographical Analysis. He is also the co-editor of Common Ground? Readings and Reflections on Public Space.
- Author(s)Zachary P. Neal
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/09/2012
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe Metropolis and Modern Life
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white tables, 6 black & white halftones, 62 black & white line drawings
- Weight498 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.