Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.00Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionA captivating tale spanning 5,000 years of the oceans' history, The Conquest of the Ocean tells the stories of the remarkable individuals who sailed seas, for trade, to conquer new lands, to explore the unkwn. From the early Polynesians to the first circumnavigations by the Portuguese and the British, these are awe-inspiring tales of epic sea voyages involving great feats of seamanship, navigation, endurance, and ingenuity. Explore the lives and maritime adventures, many with first-person narratives of land seekers and globe charters such as Christopher Columbus, Captain James Cook, and Vitus Bering.
- Author BiographyBrian Lavery is a British naval historian and Curator Emeritus at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, and is probably the world's leading authority on the ship of the line. He is the author of DK's Ship, as well as Empire of the Seas: How the Navy Forged the Modern World and the highly successful two-volume history of sailing battleships, The Ship of the Line. Lavery was a historical consultant on Peter Weir's 2003 blockbuster Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. He has also consulted on the replica constructions of Captain Cook's Endeavour and the emigrant ship Susan Constant.
- Author(s)Brian Lavery
- PublisherDK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)
- Date of Publication19/08/2013
- SubjectShips & Waterways: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)
- Out-of-print date22/07/2015
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations, maps
- Weight930 g
- Width157 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.