All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book investigates the successes and failures in consolidating those democratic regimes that emerged in Europe and Latin America in the last quarter of the 20th century. The theoretical approach developed combines the most prominent political-institutional and socio-structural approaches to explaining the Consolidation of Democracy (CoD). Reinterpreting conventional claims, Schneider's comparative analyses of 32 countries indicates that the driving force behind CoD is the fit between the institutional type of democracy and the societal context in terms of power dispersion. This book: * presents new data measuring dimensions of regime transition processes in Latin America, the Middle East and Northern Africa, as well as some former Soviet republics; * reassesses some core assumptions of the dominant transition paradigm; * discusses general methodological issues involved when investigating causally complex claims in comparative social research and presents fuzzy set Qualitative Comparative Analysis (fsQCA) as a valuable addition to the methodological tool kit of comparative social scientists. This invative and important volume will be of interest to political scientists, particularly those with an interest in democracy, democratization, comparative politics and comparative methodology.
- Author BiographyCarsten Q. Schneider is Associate Professor and founding Director of the Center for Study of Imperfections in Democracy (DISC) at the Central European University (CEU), Budapest, Hungary.
- Author(s)Carsten Q. Schneider
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/03/2011
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note33 black & white illustrations, 20 black & white tables, 33 black & white line drawings
- Weight204 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.