All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book continues the author's discussion of the United States Constitution as an unfolding work in progress. The Constitution was written and ratified more than 200 years ago, but it continues to guide the operations of our political system to this day. The Constitution remains viable because so many of its provisions are open-ended and flexible. Constitutional provisions prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures, guaranteeing speedy trials before impartial juries and protecting against cruel and unusual punishments are just a few examples. Such provisions must be interpreted and applied to modern circumstances. In this way, the Constitution remains a living, evolving, contemporary document. This theme ran through the author's previous two books with Krieger. The first ( The Constitution: Our Written Legacy ) was written while the Nation celebrated the 1989 bicentennial of the ratification of the United States Constitution. The second ( The Bill of Rights: Our Written Legacy ) was written while we commemorated the 1991 bicentennial of the ratification of the Bill of Rights. But the story of the Constitution is a continuing one, and this book focuses on developments since 1991.
- Author BiographyJoseph A. Melusky, professor and chair of the Department of History and Political Science at Saint Francis College (PA), has taught for more than twenty years. He is a former executive director of the Northeastern Political Science Association and former president of the Pennsylvania Political Science Association. He has served on the executive council of the Pennsylvania Humanities Council and the advisory board for the Institute of Experiential Learning. His publications include The Constitution: Our Written Legacy (Krieger, 1991), The Bill of Rights: Our Written Legacy (Krieger 1993), and The American Political System: An Owner's Manual (McGraw-Hill, 2000).
- Author(s)Joseph A. Melusky
- PublisherKrieger Publishing Company
- Date of Publication15/11/2005
- SubjectNational Law: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationMelbourne, FL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKrieger Publishing Company
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.47New
- AU $7.52Used
- AU $23.00New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.