All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
About this product
- DescriptionBuilding on the success of The Civil Engineers, The Contractors charts the development of contracting from the early days of direct labour, through the canal building of the18th century when contractors began to emerge as a major force in construction, railway development, motorway construction, privatisation and two world wars, to the international companies of today. A comprehensive study of the men and machines that have had an impact around the world on major civil engineering and construction projects and made the industry we see today. With direct involvement and contributions from the construction industry and lavishly illustrated with full colour illustration, the book includes biographies of some of the key figures in the industry, with many of these names still seen in the names of companies trading today, such as Sir Robert McAlpine, Sir Edmund Nuttall, George Balfour, Sir John Laing, Sir Richard Costain, Olaf Kier and Ray O'Rourke.
- Author BiographyHugh Ferguson BSc(Eng) CEng FICE MCIHT and Mike Chrimes MBE BA MLS MCLIP have together accumulated nearly 70 years of experience at the Institution of Civil Engineers and bring their unique insight and passion to the subject.
- Author(s)Hugh Ferguson,Mike Chrimes
- PublisherICE Publishing
- Date of Publication13/12/2013
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectTechnology: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintICE Publishing
- Content Note600
- Width276 mm
- Height219 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.