All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe Cooperstown Symposium on Baseball and American Culture, 2013-2014 is an anthology of seventeen scholarly essays that utilize the national game to examine topics whose import extends beyond the ballpark. The anthology is divided into six parts. Baseball Poetry, Music, and Literature considers the congruence of culture and baseball. The Ballpark: Place and Atmosphere examines the importance of venue distinctiveness. Myths, Legends, and Icons of the Game provides perspectives on protagonists of the baseball imagination. Asian and Asian-American Baseball explores international and ethnic variations on the game. Museums: Baseball Exhibits, Standards, and Preservation analyses the craft and goals of baseball curators. Contracts, Jurisprudence, and the Pastime contextualizes the games' rules of play and labour. Each of the six parts contains essays related by theme and topic. Baseball, Casey, and Me by Frank Deford, Senior Contributing Writer for Sports Illustrated, for example, discusses the challenges and opportunities presented when writing about baseball's signature poem, Casey at the Bat.Back to the Future: Building a Ballpark, Not a Stadium by Janet Marie Smith, the Los Angeles Dodgers' Senior Vice President for Planning and Development, discusses her role in the construction of Orioles Park at Camden Yards and the revation of Fenway Park, Dodger Stadium, Turner Field, and other iconic venues. A Strategic Approach for Baseball to Flourish in Modern China by Keith Spalding Robbins, who served as Vice President, Director of Design, and Lead Design Principal of a Chinese-owned planning and design studio headquartered in Shanghai, offers analysis and policy proposals for establishing a Chinese Major League.
- Author BiographyWilliam M. Simons is professor of history at the State University of New York-Oneonta, USA.
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/05/2015
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Series TitleCooperstown Symposium Series
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content NoteTables
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byWilliam M. Simons
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.