All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEgypt's Christians, the Copts, are the largest Christian community in the Middle East. While they have always been considered an integral component of the Egyptian nation, their precise status within Egyptian politics and society has been subject to ongoing debates from the Twentieth Century to present day. Part of the legacy of the Mubarak era (1980-2011) in Egypt is the unsettled state of Muslim-Christian relations and the increasing volatility of sectarian tensions, which also overshadowed the first years of the post-Mubarak period. The Coptic Question in the Mubarak Era delves into the discourses that dominated public debates and the political agenda-setting during the Mubarak era, explaining why politicians and the public in Egypt have had such ermous difficulties in recognizing the real roots of sectarian strife. This Coptic question is a complex set of issues, ranging from the petty struggles of daily Egyptian life in a bi-religious society to intricate legal and constitutional questions (family law, conversion, and church-building), to the issue of the political participation of the Coptic mirity. Through these subjects, the book explores a larger debate about Egyptian national identity. Paying special attention paid to the neglected diversity of voices within the Coptic community, Sebastian Elsasser peels back the historical layers to provide a comprehensive analysis of the historic, political, and social dynamics of Egypt's Coptic Christians during Hosni Mubarak's rule.
- Author BiographySebastian Elsasser is Assistant Professor at the Institute of Oriental and Islamic Studies, Christian-Albrechts-Universitat Kiel, Germany.
- Author(s)Sebastian Elsasser
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication29/05/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note10 illus.
- Weight564 g
- Width162 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.12New
- AU $18.72New
- AU $10.89Used
- AU $24.74New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.54New
- AU $6.44Used
- AU $19.88New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.70New
- AU $11.50Used
- AU $23.89New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $21.12
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.87
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $77.71
- AU $78.60Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.10
- AU $21.45Trending at AU $22.55
- AU $39.94Trending at AU $43.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.