All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEmotional Tornados in Your Workplace Can Be Just as Destructive as the Natural Kind If your company employs human beings, there are emotions at work. Emotions are part your company's culture and need to be as astutely managed as any other potential disruption to your business. The old paradigm of separating humans from humanity during work hours is t only antiquated thinking, it's high risk behavior. Emotional management should t be the sole domain of a few employees. Everyone can be awake and aware of the concepts and tools in this new book to effectively manage and channel workplace emotions. Of course, just as there are gamblers in tornado alley who igre the warning sirens, you get to decide how much risk your company can absorb. Dr. Vali Hawkins-Mitchell, a leading authority in the growing field of Emotional Continuity Management, makes a compelling business case that the human emotion factor has a calculable, direct impact on the fiscal bottom line. She describes an event involving two rowdy employees who became violent over a work-related decision and how its effects led to her provocative new insights into the cost of mismanaged emotions in the workplace: Walking the halls, I saw, felt, and heard the disruptive effect of these two workers on 600 people. It was like experiencing the rubble of any other disaster. There was physical wreckage, but the full range of emotions was exactly like that of any natural disaster. Everything was exposed and raw as if a common energy had stripped away the veneer of civilized behaviors. No infrastructure kept people safe in the presence of these out of control employees. People took sides, hid, ran, quit, overworked, underworked, ate too much, drank more, complained more, went silent, changed jobs, exited. They reacted as if all their system had been tossed into the air and was never going to land again. From that experience, I became sensitized to the differences between small gusts of emotions with power and those with catastrophic force. Small variations in behavior can be early warning signs of trouble. Dr. Vali explains her own Emotional Tornado V Chart based on the Fujita scale, a method to observe, predict, prepare, plan, and write policy to manage workplace the full range of workplace emotions. She details how to control the employee spinning after emotionally-charged events, such as the effects of an abusive manager, layoffs, employee illnesses or stressful family situations, suicides, and headlined homicides. She gives special emphasis to managing office bullies and workplace emotions before, during and after an emergency or disaster. Dr. Vali offers these critical steps to all levels of management: *Understand that emotions are going to happen, have measurable costs, can be managed in a compassionate manner that supports people and the bottom line, and don't go away just because they are suppressed, igred, or devalued. In fact, they will distort and become even more lethal. *Achieve realistic buy-in at the top - the CEO, owner, senior leadership - and briefly teach them key tools. With such awareness in place, emotions rising in the system can be reflected back into it in a healthy form with tools that increase loyalty and productivity. Managers will kw that if a tornado breaks out, supports are already in place. *Teach everyone, from the bottom up, tools to manage emotions.The primary key to emotional continuity management is that everyone is on the same team using the exact same tools, creating comradeship as well as intelligent procedures and policies.
- Author(s)Ph.D LMHC Vali Hawkens Mitchell
- PublisherRothstein Associates Inc.
- Date of Publication01/01/2013
- SubjectManagement Techniques: Professional
- Place of PublicationBrookfield
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRothstein Associates Inc.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight405 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byKristen Noakes-Fry
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $29.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.