All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.25
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.47
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.42
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.47
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.41
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.60
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.42
About this product
- DescriptionBasilus, a foolish old duke, consults an oracle as he imperiously wishes to kw the future, but he is less than pleased with what he learns. To escape the oracle's horrific prophecies about his family and kingdom he withdraws into pastoral retreat with his wife and two daughters. When a pair of wandering princes fall in love with the princesses and adopt disguises to gain access to them, all manner of complications, both comic and serious, ensue. Part-pastoral romance, part-heroic epic, Sidney's long narrative work was hugely popular for centuries after its first publication in 1593, inspiring two sequels and countless imitations, and contributing greatly to the development of the vel.
- Author BiographySir Philip Sidney (1554 - 1586) became one of the Elizabethan Age'smost prominent figures. Famous in his day in England as a poet, courtier and soldier, he remains known as a writer of sonnets.
- Author(s)Sir Philip Sidney
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication29/09/1977
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight630 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine50 mm
- Edited byMaurice Evans
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.