Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.81Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionIn the early years of the 1960s the market town of Everham is full of rumours and counter-rumours. Dr Leigh McDowall, medical registrar, is taking a refresher course in obstetrics prior to becoming a general practitioner. He is immediately attracted to Dr Shelagh Hammond, obstetric house surgeon, but she is deeply involved with ather doctor, Paul Sykes, and is caring for her mother, Bridget, an Irish Catholic with a terminal illness, who has a secret of her own. Leigh watches Shelagh's helpless infatuation for Paul with increasing resentment.Meanwhile Reverend Derek Bolt is troubled by the unwanted attentions of a female parishioner and he confides in headmaster Jeremy North. But Jeremy is also feeling lost as his home life is in disarray and he turns to a hospital sister for comfort. Each is faced with a personal crisis and they resolve to do what is right. Only the right thing doesn't always turn out as planned.Tension bubbles throughout the community, and the interweaving stories of Everham's residents give rise to conflicts that erupt in life-changing decisions and scandals.Set against the back-drop of the Profumo affair that rocked Britain, Everham's own politics reach a dramatic crescendo.
- Author BiographyMAGGIE BENNETT was born in Hampshire and worked as a nurse and midwife until her retirement in 1991. Having been an avid reader and scribbler since childhood, she first began to approach her writing seriously after her husband's death in 1983. She enjoyed modest success with articles and short stories before the publication of a medical romance in 1992, which won that year's RNA New Writers' Award, and she wrote six more before turning to mainstream fiction in 1996. Maggie has two grown-up daughters and a grandson, and lives in Suffolk.
- Author(s)Maggie Bennett
- PublisherAllison & Busby
- Date of Publication19/06/2014
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAllison & Busby
- Weight408 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.