All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Courage to Collaborate, school turnaround expert Ken Futernick makes the case that collaboration between school management and teacher unions is a necessary condition for educational improvement. The author cites evidence showing that collaboration often leads to increased trust, stronger professional relationships, better policies, better implementation of programs and, ultimately, to better outcomes for students. Drawing on new research, his own experience, and the experience of dozens of other district and union leaders, Futernick details key features and benefits of labor-management collaboration. He also identifies and addresses several obstacles preventing its widespread adoption, including resistance to change, myths about what collaboration really means, skepticism about unions, lack of technical support, and misguided education policy. The Courage to Collaborate recommends strategies and tactics for educators, policy makers, and others interested in embracing collaboration over confrontation. Both sides-unions and management-must make changes so that collaboration becomes the rm, rather than the exception, Futernick argues. While t sufficient in itself, labor-management collaboration is a necessary ingredient for creating an education system in which all students have an opportunity to attend good schools.
- Author BiographyKen Futernick is an educational consultant to schools, school districts, and policy makers across the United States. He is a cofounder and past director of the School Turnaround Center at WestEd, USA. Adam Urbanski is president of the Rochester Teachers Association, vice president of the American Federation of Teachers, and cofounder of the Teacher Union Reform Network (TURN).
- Author(s)Ken Futernick
- PublisherHarvard Educational Publishing Group
- Date of Publication30/08/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard Educational Publishing Group
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byAdam Urbanski
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.