All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis work examines the operation of the First Amendment, especially where it concerns freedom of the press, during the nineteenth century. It examines contemporary nineteenth century views on press freedom, placing them in the context of the issues that prompted and shaped them. Primary sources--pamphlets, speeches, sermons, letters, diaries, newspapers, and official documents--were used to highlight free press issues. It confirms that First Amendment rights were controversial issues for many nineteenth century Americans. The Course of Tolerance examines previously igred issues such as the Postal Bill of 1836 and press freedom during the Reconstruction period in the South, making this the most comprehensive volume on its subject to date. Other topics included are libel, the War of 1812, abolitionism, the Civil War, and the Spanish-American War. Through treatment of these issues, the reader is introduced to a broad variety of the nineteenth century's writings, many of which have t been analyzed thoroughly in this century. Following the main body of the book is a selected bibliography and index. This volume will be of great interest to students of communications law, journalism history, and First Amendment theory and philosophy.
- Author BiographyDONNA LEE DICKERSON is Associate Professor and Chair in the Department of Mass Communications at the University of South Florida. She is the author of Typestick of Texas History, Florida Media Law, and co-author of College Student Press Law. She has also written several journal articles including William Cowper Brann: 19th Century Press Critic, Retraction Statutes and their Constitutional Implications, and Fashioning a New Libel Defense: The Advent of Neutral Reportage.
- Author(s)Donna Lee Dickerson
- Date of Publication17/10/1990
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleContributions to the Study of Mass Media & Communications
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight559 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.