All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe Court of Comedy: Aristophanes, Rhetoric, and Democracy in Fifth-Century Athens, by Wilfred E. Major, analyzes how writers of comedy in Classical Greece satirized the emerging art of rhetoric and its role in political life. In the fifth century BCE, the development of rhetoric proceeded hand in hand with the growth of democracy both on Sicily and at Athens. In turn, comic playwrights in Athens, most tably Aristophanes, lampooned oratory as part of their commentary on the successes and failures of the young democracy.This invative study is the first book to survey all the surviving comedy from the fifth century BCE on these important topics. The evidence reveals that Greek comedy provides a revealing commentary on the incipient craft of rhetoric before its formal conventions were stabilized. Furthermore, Aristophanes depiction of rhetoric and of Athenian democratic institutions indicates that he fundamentally supports the Athenian democracy and t, as is often argued, oligarchic opposition to it.These conclusions confirm recent work that reinterprets the early development of rhetoric in Classical Greece and offer fresh perspectives on the debate over the role of comedy in early Greek democracy. Throughout, Major capitalizes on recent progress in understanding of the performance dynamics of Classical Greek theater.
- Author BiographyWilfred E. Major is assistant professor of Classics at Louisiana State University.
- Author(s)Wilfred E Major
- PublisherOhio State University Press
- Date of Publication20/08/2013
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio State University Press
- Weight431 g
- Width157 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.