Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.65+ postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by wholesale_media
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Product InformationThe Cove begins in Taiji, Japan, where former dolphin trainer Ric O'Barry has come to set things right after a long search for redemption. In the 1960s, it was O'Barry who captured and trained the 5 dolphins who played the title character in the international television sensation Flipper. But his close relationship with those dolphins - the very dolphins who sparked a global fascination with trained sea mammals that continues to this day -- led O'Barry to a radical change of heart. One fateful day, a heartbroken Barry came to realize that these deeply sensitive, highly intelligent and self-aware creatures so beautifully adapted to life in the open ocean must never be subjected to human captivity again. This mission has brought him to Taiji, a town that appears to be devoted to the wonders and mysteries of the sleek, playful dolphins and whales that swim off their coast. But in a remote, glistening cove, surrounded by barbed wire and "Keep Out" signs, lies a dark reality. It is here, under cover of night, that the fishermen of Taiji, driven by a multi-billion dollar dolphin entertainment industry and an underhanded market for mercury-tainted dolphin meat, engage in an unseen hunt. The nature of what they do is so chilling -- and the consequences are so dangerous to human health -- they will go to great lengths to halt anyone from seeing it. Undeterred, O'Barry joins forces with filmmaker Louis Psihoyos and the Oceanic Preservation Society to get to the truth of what's really going on in the cove and why it matters to everyone in the world. With the local Chief of Police hot on their trail and strong-arm fishermen keeping tabs on them, they will recruit an "Ocean's Eleven"-style team of underwater sound and camera experts, special effects artists, marine explorers, adrenaline junkies and world-class free divers who will carry out an undercover operation to photograph the off-limits cove, while playing a cloak-and-dagger game with those who would have them jailed. The result is a provocative mix of investigative journalism, eco-adventure and arresting imagery that adds up to an urgent plea for hope.
- TitleThe Cove
- Product Release Date02/12/2009
- Theatrical Release Year2008
- Number of Discs1
- ActorsCharles Hambleton,Dave Rastovich,Hayden Panettiere,Isabel Lucas,Joe Chisholm,John Potter,Kirk Krack,Louie Psihoyos,Mandy-Rae Cruikshank,Paul Watson,Richard O'Barry,Roger Payne,Simon Hutchins
- DirectorsLouie Psihoyos
- Rating InfoScenes Of Animal Slaughter
- Run Time92 minutes
- Primary GenreSpecial Interest
- Sub GenreMystery,Thriller
- Video FormatPAL
- Tag LineShallow Water, Deep Secret
Most relevant reviews
- happyhiker00111 Mar, 2014by
One of the best documentaries I have seen in a long time..
On a couple of occasions I had heard this film mentioned and I wondered what it was about. Out of curiosity I bought the DVD and I am very glad that I did. This was one of the best documentary films I have seen in a while. It investigates and exposes the brutal killing of dolphins in particular cove in Japan. Part espionage thriller, part documentary, and part human interest story, this is a well made and very moving film. For any one who loves the sea or has ever admired a dolphin, this film is highly recommended.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
Save on DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
- AU $31.99Trending at AU $61.66
- AU $32.99Trending at AU $64.78
- AU $31.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $51.09Trending at AU $81.59
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $71.59
- AU $92.12Trending at AU $100.92