Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.99Free postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by sunrisebookshop
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.68
- AU $73.18Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $27.07Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $45.19Trending at AU $46.03
- AU $20.58Trending at AU $22.70
About this product
- Description'My name is Laddy Merridew. I'm a cry-baby. I'm sorry.' 'And my name is Ianto Jenkins. I am a coward. And that's worse.' The boy Laddy Merridew, sent to live with his grandmother, stumbles off the bus into a small Welsh mining community, where he begins an unlikely friendship with Ianto Passchendaele Jenkins, the town beggar-storyteller. Ianto is watchman over the legacy of the collapse many years ago of Kindly Light Pit, a disaster whose echoes reverberate down the generations and blight the lives of many in the town. Through Ianto's stories Laddy Merridew is drawn into both the town's history and the conundrums of the present. Why has woodwork teacher Icarus Evans striven most of his life to carve wooden feathers that will float on an updraft? Why is the undertaker Tutt Bevan trying to find a straight path through the town? Why does James Little, the old gas-meter emptier, dig his allotment by moonlight? And why does window cleaner Judah Jones take autumn leaves into a disused chapel? These and other men of the town, both past and present, and the women who mothered them, married them and mourned them, are bound together by the echoes of the Kindly Light tragedy and by the mysterious figure of Ianto Passchendaele Jenkins, whose stories of loyalty and betrayal, loss and love, form an unforgettable, spellbinding tapestry.
- Author BiographyVanessa has previously written two collections of short stories (published by Salt Publishers). She has also won numerous prizes for her short stories. An extract from The Coward's Tale won the Daily Telegraph Novel in a Year Competition. In addition, Vanessa has compiled a text book on the art of the short story (Short Circuit - published by Salt) which is now used by creative writing courses throughout the UK and elsewhere and which is endorsed by Bridport, Fish, The Asham Trust and the Frank O'Connor Award. Vanessa has read and performed workshops at numerous festivals, as well as being writer-in-residence at Stockholm University this year. Vanessa is Welsh but lives in Sussex. www.vanessagebbie.com.
- Author(s)Vanessa Gebbie
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication29/03/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Weight261 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.