The Crimean Circle: A Russian Jewish Tale of the Crimean War by David Kushner (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.28Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $49.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Crimean Circle is a historical vel about the Jews in the Crimean War. For the first time in modern history Jews are forcibly conscripted to serve in an army to fight a war for a nation that dispises, mistreats and tries to convert them. They are trained by a Jew-hating sergeant and a Jewish corporal who has lost the love of his father and the faith in his God. With the help of the Jewish corporal the pious young Jews learn to survive in what for them is a hostile environment and become brave and competent soldiers. The story is played out during the exciting backdrop of The Crimean War (1855-56) and the horrific siege of Sevastopol as the Russian Army, poorly led and ill equipped tries to fight against the combined forces of Britain, France and Turkey. It is a stirring adventure story. The story of the young corporal is central to the story as he trains his platoon, teaches them to defend themselves against hatred and humiliation and struggles to return to his lost faith. He falls in love during the darkest days of the siege, survives the paraid hatred of a high-ranking Russian officer and finally marries his betrothed. It is a colorful story of a period of Jewish history seldom mentioned in Jewish historical fiction. A period that just preceded the great immigration of eastern European Jews to the United States.
- Author BiographyDavid Kushner is an American journalist living in Sweden. Mr. Kushner graduated from Queens College and studied for an MA at Columbia University under the renowned critic, author and anthologist, Professor John Gassner. He served in the United States Army as a journalist in the Public Information Office (PIO) for the Second Armored Division stationed in Germany. His articles also appeared in the U.S. Army Newspaper Stars and Stripes. He and a colleague, Lars Malmstrom, translated four of Ingmar Bergman's classic films, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries and The Magician, for an anthology of Bergman's scripts published by Simon & Schuster as Four Screenplays by Ingmar Bergman. He worked a TV producer for Swedish Television and directed some 15 short documentary films for them. He is an avid yachtsman and has written a number of articles in Yacht Racing Magazine and One Design and Offshore Yachtsman. He competed in a number of offshore races in Sweden and reported the One Ton, Half Ton and Quarter Ton cup races and the Baltic Race both on film and in print. He and his wife Shoshana travel extensively and he has written countless travel articles for Stockholm's ESCC Newsletter which have also appeared on their website. His first book, The Line In The Sand about the ethnic cleansing of the Assyrian Christians in Iraq was written together with his friend and colleague Nuri Kino who is an award winning Swedish journalist. Kushner has hunted big game in Sweden and currently actively competes in club handgun competitions. He collects revolvers from the Civil War period and regularly participates in black powder competitions.
- Author(s)David Kushner
- Date of Publication07/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight993 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.91Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.31Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.