All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn modern times, when people outside of the Faith wish to attack Christianity, both the Crusades and the Inquisition are favored targets. And indeed, it is hard to defend the excesses committed in either the Crusades or the Inquisition. However (as we shall see), the case against the Crusades is perhaps less staunch than the case against the Inquisition. This book provides a brief history of these two (in)famous institutions of the church. Part One examines the Crusades, which lasted from 1095 when the First Crusade was anunced by Pope Urban II in Clermont, France, to 1291 when the last Crusader stronghold in the Holy Lands fell at Acre. Along the way we'll meet some of the famous personages of the Crusades, including Peter the Hermit, Godfrey of Bouillon, Bernard of Clairvaux, Richard the Lionheart, Saladin, Frederick II, and St. Louis. What a remarkable twist in history that the two greatest warriors of the Middle Ages - Richard the Lionheart and Saladin - were alive at the same time, and fought against each other on several occasions. Part Two of this book discusses the Inquisition - or, actually, the three Inquisitions, including the Papal Inquisition, which was formed to fight against the Cathars in Southern France, the Spanish Inquisition, which ultimately ejected most Jews and Moslems from Spain, and the reconstituted Papal Inquisition, formed in the 16th century to combat the heresy of Protestantism.
- Author BiographyRobert C. Jones grew up in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. In 1981, he moved to the Atlanta, Georgia area, where he received a B.S. in Computer Science at DeVry Institute of Technology. From 1984-2009, Robert worked for Hewlett-Packard as a computer consultant. He now works as an independent computer support and video services consultant. Robert is an ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church. He has written and taught numerous adult Sunday School courses. He has also been active in choir ministries over the years, and has taught the Disciples Bible Study six times. He is the author of A Brief History of Protestantism in the United States, A Brief History of the Sacraments: Baptism and Communion, Heaven and Hell: In the Bible, the Apocrypha and the Dead Sea Scrolls, The Crusades and the Inquisition: A Brief History, and Meet the Apostles: Biblical and Legendary Accounts. Robert is President of the Kennesaw Historical Society, for whom he has written several books, including The Law Heard 'Round the World - An Examination of the Kennesaw Gun Law and Its Effects on the Community, Retracing the Route of the General - Following in the Footsteps of the Andrews Raid, and Images of America: Kennesaw. Robert has also written several books on ghost towns in the Southwest, including in Death Valley, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Mojave National Preserve. In 2005, Robert co-authored a business-oriented book entitled Working Virtually: The Challenges of Virtual Teams. His interests include the Civil War, Medieval Monasteries, American railroads, ghost towns, hiking in Death Valley and the Mojave, and Biblical Archaeology.
- Author(s)Robert C Jones
- Date of Publication18/03/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight154 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.