About this product
- DescriptionPlay it again, Sam is the motto of cult film enthusiasts, who will watch their favorite movie over and over, beyond all reason. What is the appeal of cult movies? Why do fans turn up in droves at midnight movies or sit through the same three-hanky classics from Hollywood's golden era? These are some of the questions J. P. Telotte and twelve other ted film scholars consider in this groundbreaking study of the cult film. The book identifies two basic types of cult films-older Hollywood movies, such as Casablanca, that have developed a cult following and midnight movies, most tably The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Telotte, Bruce Kawin, and Timothy Corrigan offer thought-provoking discussions about why these two types of movies become cult films, the sort of audience they attract, and the needs they fulfill for that audience. Subsequent essays employ a variety of cultural, feminist, ideological, and poststructural strategies for exploring these films. In a section on the classical cult film, the movie Casablanca receives extensive treatment. An essay by T. J. Ross considers Beat the Devil as a send-up of cult films, while ather essay by Wade Jennings analyzes the cult star phemen as personified in Judy Garland. Midnight movie madness is explored in essays on The Rocky Horror Picture Show, movie satires of the 1950s, science fiction double features, and horror thrillers. Illustrated with scenes from favorite movies and written for both fans and scholars, The Cult Film Experience will appeal to a wider audience than the usual suspects.
- Author BiographyJ. P. Telotte is Professor of Literature, Communications, and Culture at Georgia Institute of Technology.
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/03/1991
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleTexas Film & Media Studies Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note19 b&w illus.
- Weight363 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine381 mm
- Edited byJ. P. Telotte
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.37New
- AU $21.29New
- AU $24.95New
- AU $20.04New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.91New
- AU $11.60Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.80New
- AU $32.15New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $19.05Trending at AU $21.29
- AU $20.22Trending at AU $25.16
- AU $21.90Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $31.02Trending at AU $31.92
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.01
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.51
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.