All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTianjian Shi shows how cultural rms affect political attitudes and behavior through two causal pathways, one at the individual level and one at the community level. Focusing on two key rms - definition of self-interest and orientation to authority - he tests the theory with multiple surveys conducted in mainland China and Taiwan. Shi employs multi-level statistical analysis to show how, in these two very different political systems, similar rms exert similar kinds of influence on political trust, understanding of democracy, forms of political participation, and tolerance for protest. The approach helps to explain the resilience of authoritarian politics in China and the dissatisfaction of many Taiwan residents with democratic institutions. Aiming to place the study of political culture on a new theoretical and methodological foundation, Shi argues that a truly comparative social science must understand how culturally embedded rms influence decision making.
- Author BiographyThe late Tianjian Shi was an Associate Professor of Political Science at Duke University. He also taught at Tsinghua University in China. Shi is the author of Political Participation in Beijing (1997). He specialized in comparative politics with an emphasis on political culture and political participation in China and Taiwan.
- Author(s)Tianjian Shi
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note49 b/w illus. 46 tables
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.