The Curse of the Rainbow Jersey: Cycling's Most Infamous Superstition by Graham Healy (Paperback / softback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.32Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Curse of the Rainbow Jersey is a peculiar lens on the history of professional cycling. It examines the infamous curse associated with wearers of the tunic awarded to the winner of the World Cycling Championships.The opening chapters look at how the curse originated with the death of Stan Ockers in 1955, other famous sports curses (including Curse of the Bambi, the US Masters Par 3 curse, and the curse placed on the Australian soccer team by a witch doctor), and also the history of the world cycling championships.The main body of the book is comprised of chapters dedicated to particular wearers of the rainbow jersey who were struck by misfortune, personal tragedy, or death. Examples include Paolo Bettini, whose brother died in a car crash on the way to a party to celebrate Paolo's win; Jean-Pierre Monsere, who died in a race while wearing the jersey; and Tommy Simpson, who died while racing two years after being crowned champion.The ill fortune visited upon wearers of the rainbow jersey is bizarre and tragic; but is it anything more than random chance? The final chapter of the book evaluates whether this level of bad luck is higher than for any other sample of humanity.A chilling look at the history of cycling, sure to fascinate any fan of the sport.Graham Healy is a cyclist and journalist living in Dublin, Ireland.
- Author BiographyGraham Healy is a keen cyclist, having raced and taken part in various cyclosportives including Maratone dles Dolomiti and Etape du Tour. He also writes for the Sticky Bottle website, and is the author of Shay Elliott: The Life and Death of Ireland's First Yellow Jersey. He has had an interest in cycling since he was ten years old. He got the autograph of Eddy Merckx at the very first race he saw, without having a clue as to who Merckx was. He lives in Dublin, Ireland.
- Author(s)Graham Healy
- PublisherBreakaway Books
- Date of Publication21/05/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBreakaway Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.05New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.85Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.