The Custom-Made Brain: Cerebral Plasticity, Regeneration, and Enhancement by Pierre-Marie Lledo, Jean-Didier Vincent (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.13Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $45.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo leading neuroscientists introduce the concepts of cerebral plasticity and the regenerating brain, describing what we kw w about the processes through which the brain constantly reconstructs itself and the potential benefits this kwledge could have in addressing concerns for neurological, cognitive, and emotional health. The authors begin with a survey of the fundamental scientific developments that led to our current understanding of the regenerative mind, elucidating the breakthrough neurobiological studies that paved the way for our present understanding of the brain's plasticity and regenerative capabilities. They then discuss the application of these findings to such issues as depression, dyslexia, schizophrenia, and cognitive therapy, incorporating the latest techlogies in neuroimaging, optogenetics, and natechlogy. Their work shows the brain is anything but a static organ, ceasing to grow as human beings become adults. Rather, the brain is dynamic, evolving organically in relation to physical, cultural, historical, and affective stimuli, a plasticity that provides early hope to survivors of trauma and degenerative disorders.
- Author BiographyJean-Didier Vincent is professor emeritus at the University of Paris-Sud-Orsay and a member of the Faculty of Medicine, Paris-Sud-Kremlin-Bic tre. He is the author of the highly acclaimed Voyage extraordinaire au centre du cerveau (Extraordinary Voyage to the Center of the Brain) and Biologie des passions (The Biology of Emotions) and belongs to the French Academy of Sciences and the Academy of Medicine. Pierre-Marie Lledo is a research director specializing in neuronal stem cells and brain plasticity at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and chair the department of Neuroscience at the Pasteur Institute. He is recipient of a CNRS bronze medal and several Prizes from the French Academies of Medicine and Sciences. He belongs to the European Academy of Sciences. Laurence Garey has translated several works from French and German, including Korbinian Brodmann's Localisation in the Cerebral Cortex, and publications by Jean-Pierre Changeux, Michel Jouvet, and Michel Meulders.
- Author(s)Jean-Didier Vincent,Pierre-Marie Lledo
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication20/06/2014
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content NoteFigures: 7,
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byLaurence Garey
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.