All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.00Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionHere are the full original texts of 150 of the best loved hymns in the English language, from the time of the Early Church to the 20th century. Each is acompanied by a fascinatintg commentary, giving biographical details of the aurthgor, such as the Calvinist creator of Rocvk oif Ages who once calculated that the average human sins 2,522,880,000 times; tes on the circumstances in which the hymn was written; and variant versions including the First World War infantry adaptation of The Church's One Foundation. 150 hymns each prefaced by an urbanely written and agreeably subjective commentary with a wealth of anecdote and a few ribald parodies. This charming book shlould also bve reqwuirted reading for all responsible for choosing hymns in church, and recopmmended bedside reading for the eight million viewers of Songs of Praise. Ian Bradley writes with wit elegance and charm and is quite exceptionally kwledgeable about his subject. Bradley has enjoyed sining hymns for as long as he can remember . he attributes the orogin of this enthuisaiasm yto the happy combincvation of having a father who loved Salvation Army choruses and many year exposure to public school chapel worship.ong his other ewnthusiasm are spas, instituations of most kinds and all things Victorian.
- Author BiographyIan Bradley was born on Whit Sunday 1950. Now Lecturer in Practical Theology at The University of St Andrews, he has been a journalist on the Times, head of Religious Broadcasting BBC Scotland. He is a Church of Scotland Minister.
- Author(s)Ian Bradley
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication14/09/2006
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight608 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.