All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSurely one of America's most popular velists, Stephen King has only recently begun to receive serious attention from scholars and literary critics. The Dark Descent assembles fifteen illuminating original essays that consider King from a variety of intellectual orientations, addressing the major vels and central thematic concerns that represent King's contributions to American letters and elevating King scholarship to a new level of critical discourse. This volume places King firmly within the can of contemporary American fiction. The essayists are concerned with explicating the meanings of individual narratives and creating critical contexts for their interpretion. While covering a broad range of his works and using multiple theoretical approaches--including reader-response, mythic, psychoanalytic, and structuralist criticism--to offer insights into King's fiction, most of the essayists reflect on one of two central theses: that King's body of literature may be seen as having been deeply influenced by the mainstream traditions of nineteenth- and twentieth-century American and European fictions, and that the narratives may be read as profound commentary on the major political and social tensions shaping contemporary American life. King's supernatural horrors reflect actual horrors, and his compelling style makes art out of horror fiction. A King chrology, bibliography and an expository introduction flank the analytical essays.
- Author BiographyTONY MAGISTRALE is Associate Professor of English at the University of Vermont, where he teaches a course on the novels of Stephen King. His previous publications on King include Landscape of Fear: Stephen King's American Gothic, and he is at work on another book tentatively titled Stephen King, The Second Decade: Danse Macabre to The Dark Tower.
- Author(s)Tony Magistrale
- Date of Publication27/03/1992
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleContributions to the Study of Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 48.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight526 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Foreword byJoseph A. Citro
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.